Cornerstone Dental Centre Offers Tooth Extraction Services
Though it is never the ideal situation for our patients, tooth extraction procedures can be a beneficial solution for various dental concerns. During a tooth extraction procedure, a permanent tooth and its root are removed from the bone socket. This can be performed on accessible teeth without surgery but may require an incision to reach teeth below the gum’s surface. The dentists at Cornerstone Dental Centre are proud to provide tooth extraction services to their Fort Saskatchewan patients. We proudly use the latest technology to ensure that the procedure is as up-to-date as possible. If you are looking for a dentist to handle your tooth extraction, get in touch with us today to schedule an appointment.
Why Might I Need a Tooth Extraction?
We understand that tooth extractions can be a nerve-wracking experience, and we are committed to making every effort to save your tooth. However, tooth extractions may be the safest option when a repair is no longer an option. They are a comfortable solution to protect your health and prevent further damage. Our dentists may recommend tooth extractions to patients dealing with a variety of dental issues, including the following:
- Gum disease
- Impacted teeth
- Severely damaged or decaying teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Wisdom teeth growing in
- Preparing for orthodontic treatment
How Do I Know if I Need to Seek Dental Treatment?
If you have not received a comprehensive dental exam in the last 6 months, you may not be aware of recent developments in your dental health. You should seek treatment with our team if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Severe tooth pain
- Pain that worsens while chewing
- Pain while opening and shutting jaw
- Swollen gums
- Swollen jaw
- Stiff jaw
- Increased sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Discoloured or bleeding gums
What Should I Expect During My Tooth Extraction?
Our dentist will complete a thorough examination during your initial appointment to determine if you are a good candidate for tooth extraction. If alternative options are available, we will discuss those with you during this time. Depending on the level of severity, we may decide to move forward with one of the following methods of tooth extraction:
- Simple Extraction: After applying local anesthesia, your dentist will use special forceps to gently wiggle the tooth back and forth within the socket. The dentist then pulls the tooth from the attached ligament, allowing for extraction.
- Surgical Extraction: In the case of impacted teeth or other complex issues, we start off by applying local anesthesia and providing nitrous oxide if necessary. The dentist will create room to access the tooth by making a small incision in the surrounding gum tissue. Forceps are used to gently wiggle the tooth and remove it from its socket. We will then clean, suture, and place gauze over the affected area to protect it from infection.
What Happens After a Tooth Extraction?
Soreness, discomfort, and swelling around the affected area are common after a dental extraction. We will schedule a follow-up appointment with you after your procedure to monitor the healing progress. We will make every effort to ensure that any discomfort is minimized. Our aftercare guidelines typically include the following:
- Eating soft foods such as yogurt, applesauce, and pudding
- Using over-the-counter pain medications
- Placing an icepack or cold compress on the affected area for a few minutes at a time
What Are My Restorative Options After a Tooth Extraction?
Once the area has fully healed, our experienced team will help you build out a personalized plan to restore your beautiful smile. It is important to address restorative dentistry options as soon as possible to prevent bone recession. Our restoration services include dental implants, dental bridges, and more.
How Much Do Tooth Extraction Procedures Cost?
The cost of your tooth extraction procedure may vary depending on the severity of your situation, the number of teeth that need to be extracted, and whether surgical extraction is necessary. We accept most insurance plans and aim to make the process as economical as possible.
Call Our Office to Schedule an Appointment Today
If you are experiencing any level of tooth pain, Cornerstone Dental Centre can help you achieve the pain relief you deserve. Our friendly team is dedicated to providing our patients with a tooth extraction process. If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with one of our dentists, give us a call today. We would be happy to help you find the best path forward for your dental health.