Cornerstone Dental Centre: High-Quality Dental Care for You
Cornerstone Dental Centre is a full-service dental office in Fort Saskatchewan, AB. Preventative dentistry is one of our specialties. We keep your teeth healthy and free of cavities, gum disease, enamel wear, and more. But our dental professionals aren’t the only ones who perform preventative dentistry tasks. You can make a difference at home. Brushing at least twice a day and after meals and flossing keep your teeth healthy between visits to our office. Cornerstone Dental recommends making an appointment with one of our dental professionals once a year. These visits ensure your teeth are clean, strong, and white.
Benefits of Preventative Dentistry for Adults
Preventative dentistry is a catch-all phrase to describe a series of steps and procedures our dentists use to maintain your oral health. The first step is a yearly visit. During your annual checkup, we thoroughly clean your teeth, scraping plaque from hard-to-reach areas, and addressing crevices brushing and flossing can’t. In addition to teeth cleaning, our routine appointments usually include x-rays, which help us determine whether there are problems inside your teeth that are hidden in your jawline. Preventative dental care has numerous benefits, including:
- Minimized costs: Extensive dental reconstruction is expensive. But that’s where patients can end up when they neglect preventative dentistry. Cavities can worsen and impact your jawline, resulting in lost teeth. Replacing teeth with implants, dental crowns, bridges, or other methods is a pricey affair. It’s better to minimize your costs by utilizing your insurance with preventative dental care.
- Lower risk factors: Preventative care – both at-home and in-office methods – lower your risk for serious oral health issues. For instance, poor oral hygiene can lead to gum diseases like gingivitis and periodontal disease. Both can have severe impacts on your overall dental health and result in gradual tooth decay.
- Promotes excellent oral hygiene habits: Our dentists create a warm and welcoming environment. But we also stress education. Our dentists and hygienists explain the best techniques to use at home and tell why they’re essential. Promoting outstanding oral hygiene habits is one of the most critical functions of preventative dentistry.
- Identifies issues early: Outside of persistent toothaches, many serious dental illnesses and conditions can be challenging to spot at home. When individuals do realize they have a problem, it can sometimes be too late. However, visiting Cornerstone Dental Centre once or twice a year enables our dentists to catch problems before they’re irreversible or expensive to fix.
- Addresses overall health issues: Some physical health issues and conditions can cause oral health problems. For instance, patients with diabetes, osteoporosis, some cancers, and eating disorders can experience difficulties with their teeth. Cornerstone Dental Centre can address the tooth-related problems while you treat your illness with your general practitioner.
Preventative Dentistry for Kids
Preventative dental habits should begin early in life. Parents should start teaching their children proper oral hygiene from an early age. Children who are taught how to brush and floss at an early age are much more likely to stick to effective oral hygiene tactics later in life. In addition to gently encouraging children to brush at home, parents should bring their children in to see us, even if they still have their baby teeth. Our preventative dental care for kids provides several benefits to parents, including:
- Providing guidance on remedying thumb sucking
- Establishing tooth-safe eating habits
- Regular cleanings (even baby teeth)
- A warm, fun, and exciting atmosphere
- And more
What Are Other Ways Patients Can Improve their Health?
Preventative dentistry is a lifelong habit. We advise our patients to establish rock-solid oral hygiene habits and stick to them, day after day. While brushing and flossing are the first steps, there are other things Fort Saskatchewan, AB patients can do to address their oral health and prevent adverse conditions and inconvenient procedures like root canals. Some of the things you can do at home to keep yourself healthy include:
- Use mouthwash after flossing to rinse out the food particles.
- Avoid acidic foods as much as possible. They harm your tooth enamel.
- Cautiously ingest hard candies, foods with bones, seeds, or pits to avoid chips and cracks.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products. They lead to cancer and stain your teeth.
- Use a mouthguard when playing contact sports.
- If you grind your teeth, see Cornerstone Dental Centre about a nightguard.
Contact Fort Saskatchewan’s Cornerstone Dental Centre Now
Get started on your journey to superior oral hygiene today by scheduling an appointment with Cornerstone Dental Centre. We provide compassionate care to our patients. We understand the dentist’s office isn’t the most fun place to visit, but it is essential. Don’t delay your yearly checkup; contact us today.