Root Canal Therapy Can Save Your Teeth
For generations, root canals struck fear in the hearts of dental patients everywhere. But the days of long, painful root canal treatments are gone. Cornerstone Dental Centre in Fort Saskatchewan, AB, utilizes the latest technologies and anesthetics. Our practice has perfected our root canal procedures and our staff understands the importance of your comfort throughout the process. Contact us today to learn more.
What is Root Canal?
When the interior pulp of your tooth becomes infected, root canal therapy may be the only way to repair it. Without root canal therapy, the infection could spread to the root tip and cause an abscess in your jawbone. During the procedure, our team numbs the area around the tooth, so you feel little to no pain. They then go into the tooth and gently remove the infected pulp using advanced dental tools. Once the pulp is removed, the cavity is filled with a protective resin to prevent any further spread of infection.
How Do You Know You Need Root Canal Therapy?
There are many signs you may need root canal therapy. The pulp, or soft tissue inside the root canal of your tooth, has become inflamed or infected. You will see swelling and redness begin to develop, and you may experience pain, irritation, and increased sensitivity. These symptoms can result from deep decay from past dental procedures, injury to the tooth, or something else. If left untreated, the infection can spread to other areas of your mouth, your jawbone, or even your brain.
The Root Canal Process
For every procedure, we follow a process that will get to the heart of the infection, remove it, and offer you long-lasting relief. During your root canal therapy, you can expect:
- X-Rays: Our dentists will take detailed x-rays of the infected area to ensure root canal is not only possible but also the right treatment for you.
- Pulp Removal: Our team will place a dental dam over the infected tooth to isolate it. They will then drill away the decay and remove your tooth’s inner pulp. They will also use special files to get rid of the infected roots then fill the cavity with a hard composite to seal off the tooth.
- Anesthesia: Local anesthetic is applied to the gum line around the tooth to reduce pain. Nitrous oxide and sedation dentistry options may be available as well.
- Crowns: Our dentists will want to see you for a second appointment after about a week to make sure your tooth has healed. At this time, your tooth will also need to have a crown installed for strength, stability, and proper function. The crown’s color can be blended to match the surrounding teeth and give you a much more natural look.
The Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
Patients find that root canal treatment can restore full function to their teeth and eliminate pain, inflammation, and sensitivity. Our dental professionals use this treatment regularly to preserve existing teeth and avoid further, more invasive procedures involving bridges, dental implants, and other devices. In addition to preserving your teeth, root canals offer additional advantages including:
- Better Aesthetics: Infected teeth can turn an unsightly yellow or brown. A root canal can improve your smile by eliminating the infection. After a root canal, the tooth will generally die and will not respond to teeth whitening. You can also place a crown over the dead tooth for a more blended, uniform look.
- Improved Savings: There are many alternative options to root canals, such as tooth extractions, dental implants, bridges, and others. However, they are all generally more expensive and time-consuming. Root canal therapy typically requires no follow-up visits and saves you more time and money.
What to Expect Post Root Canal Treatment
You may experience some soreness or pain from the healing process, but those sensations will fade. Our dentists may prescribe antibiotics to clear up any remaining bacteria or swelling. It is vital that you brush and floss your teeth as usual to maintain your normal hygiene, but you may want to switch to eating softer foods for the first few days. Going forward, it is also essential to attend routine dental check-ups with us every six months. That way, our dentist can check for any chips, cracks, or other damage they can repair.
Contact Cornerstone Dental for Root Canal Treatment
Root canals do not have to be a scary experience. When you work with Cornerstone Dental Centre, you will receive the effective root canal treatment you need to protect your teeth and gums. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and discover an easier path towards ideal oral health.